We, the Church of St. Anthony, are a faith community in the Roman Catholic tradition. We gather together to bear witness to our beliefs. We are accepting of all, united in our diversity and serve each other in the caring spirit of social justice and friendship. Our liturgies reflect and enhance our faith. We desire to share our Christian values through active participation
in our faith community and by reaching out to those in need.
St. Anthony's history begins.......
with the earliest religious servicesin the town of Tolt, now Carnation, being conducted in residents' homesby itinerant clergymen. During the early 1880s, Roman Catholic religious services began with a traveling priest who also made stops in Monroe, Duvall, Snoqualmie and Issaquah. The first Catholic religious mass and baptism took place in Tolt on May 20, 1891.
Parishioners constructed the St. Anthony Mission Church in Tolt in the year 1914 with donations from the Catholic Extension Society and a private donation of $500.00 from Mr. Meehan. The land was donated by a Tolt resident Ronald McDonald, who continued to live in the house west of the church.
The first Mass celebrated in the new building was on November 6, 1914, and the church was dedicated by the Arch Bishop on November 13, 1914. Mass was celebrated monthly with the rest of the Monroe Parish. Rev. D.P. Kelly was the first priest to serve at St. Anthony from 1914-1918. He was followed by Rev. Daniel Grace 1919-1924, Rev. Robert Dillon 1925-1926 and Rev. William Chaput 1927-1929. St. Anthony Church was separated from the Monroe parish and acquired its own priest. Rev. Michael Rosol who served from 1929-1935. After that, masses were held weekly as the size of the parish grew. The Stations of the Cross were purchased and blessed on September 14, 1936 by Archbishop Geraldus. Tolt's Catholic parishioners dug a new basement beneath the St. Anthony Church building in 1955. It took less than a year to complete with the hard work of Nick and Alfonso Loutsis, Jerry Meehan, Carl Aronica and many others helping. Nick and Alfonso Loutsis spent time building the forms and pouring concrete for the foundation. Keith Hamilton spent hours hanging sheet rock and Chris Loutsis worked on the stucco in the kitchen. It was a real joint effort and the parishioners came together to complete the basement/social hall for all to enjoy. The first quarterly meeting of the St. Vincent De Paul Society was held in the newly constructed social hall on April 15, 1956.
Bibliographic reference: Jones, Isabel L., ed., A History of Tolt/Carnation: A Town Remembered, (Snohomish, 1987) Tolt Historical Society, p. 62. Note: Carnation was known as Tolt from its initial settlement until 1917, and again from 1928 to 1951.
Saint Anthony Church Carnation, WA
Dedicated November 14, 1914
BISHOP EDWARD JOHN O'DEA, D.D.
Jubilee Mass November 12, 1989
ARCHBISHOP RAYMOND G HUNTHAUSEN, D.D.
Priests who have served St. Anthony's
Rev. D.P. Kelly 1914-1918 Rev. Daniel Grace 1919-1924 Rev. Robert Dillon 1925-1926 Rev. William Chaput 1927-1929 Rev. Michael Rosol 1929-1935 Rev. Michael P. Mead 1935-1949 Rev. Patrick McNerney 1949-1956 Rev. Daniel McAllister 1956-1961 Rev. Joseph Buck 1961-1967 Rev. Thomas Delahunty 1967-1975 Rev. Lester J. McCloskey 1975-1980 Rev. Gerald Moffat 1980-1991 Rev. Jan Larson 1992-2007 Rev. John Ludvik 2007-2011 Rev. Roy Baroma Current
Saint Anthony Website: Questions, concerns, ideas.....email firstname.lastname@example.org